SYHA Player Evaluation for 2018/19 Season
The Tryout/Player Evaluation Committee is hard at work determinating schedules, details, evaluators and more for player evaluations from mites(8U), squirts(10U), peewee(12U), bantams(14U) and midgets(16U) for the 2018/19 hockey season. Objective of player evaluations is to provide a fair and impartial assessment of players total hockey skills during skating and scrimmage sessions.
We will be looking for volunteers to assist with evaluations, organization, player checkin, jersey sizing and many other areas to ensure player evaluations are organized and productive. ANY assistance for any night of player evaluations is greatly appreciated. Shrewsbury Youth Hockey is a town hockey program comprised of volunteers.
Player Evaluations, a Note to Parents
- The purpose of player evaluations is to evaluate a player's skating ability and hockey skills in order to place him or her within a team that will provide the best environment for improving their self-confidence and enjoyment of ice hockey.
- Your encouragement to play hard and have fun during the player evaluation process will do MORE to promote a successful player evaluation than pushing your player to "be the best in tryouts so you can move up a team level". Per SYHA Bylaws "There is no guarantee that a player will place at the same level that he/she played at the previous season."
- Evaluators are not looking for the player who can 'skate the fastest'. They are looking for the player that can complete the skill that is asked to that player's best ability.
- While player evaluations are ongoing, parents should refrain from specifically speaking/asking about player evaluations to any other member of the tryout committee, coaches, evaluators or coordinators unless it is a general question.
- Please note tryout information from the SYHA Bylaws. SYHA ByLaws Click Here Tryout information is located in Appendix D. Overall, "each player will be evaluated on the following 6 areas: Skating, Passing, Shooting, Stick
Handling, Positional Situation Play and Game Situation (scrimmage)."
- We prioritize players having fun, players wanting to return next season, and improving hockey skills in that order, and that is independent of team placement level.
- As is the case in most youth sports, what particular team level a player plays at as a 6 to 14 year old rarely affects their later years. In fact, in most cases the relative ability ranking of players in a sport changes greatly over these years, so no single placement for a given season should be, nor is, creating a 'track' for a kid. The high school and college rosters of ALL sports are filled with players who ranged a variety of levels in their early development. The most critical factor for later years is - to still be playing!!! Kids will keep playing as long as adults don't mess it up and make it no longer FUN.
2018/19 Player Evaluation Schedule
Every effort should be made to attend all player evaluations for your scheduled time. Registration is required PRIOR to player evaluation.
Please arrive approximately 45minutes to 1 hour EARLY to scheduled ice time. This is to allow time for: check in, pinney assignment, confirmation of jersey size and jersey number choice, changing and brief chat to the players and parent on what to expect during the ice time.
RINKS: Buffone Rink, 284 Lake Avenue, Worcester, MA Northstar Ice Rink Sports, 15 Bridle Lane, Westborough, MA
Player Eval 1 Tuesday March 27 6:20pm Northstar
Player Eval 2 Saturday March 31 8:00am Buffone
Player Eval 1 Tuesday March 27 7:30pm Northstar
Player Eval 2 Saturday March 31 7:00am Buffone
Player Eval 1 (2011+) Friday March 30 6:00pm Buffone
Player Eval 2 (2010) Friday March 30 7:00pm Buffone
Player Eval 3 (Last names A-L) Sunday April 8 7:30am Buffone
Player Eval 4 (Last names M-Z) Sunday April 8 8:30am Buffone
Player Eval 1 (Last Names A-L) Friday April 6 6:00pm Buffone
Player Eval 2 (Last Names M-Z) Friday April 6 7:00pm Buffone
Player Eval 3 (2009) Tuesday April 10 6:20pm Northstar
Player Eval 4 (2008) Tuesday April 10 7:30pm Northstar
Player Eval 1 (Last Names A-L) Thursday March 29 7:00pm Buffone
Player Eval 2 (Last Names M-Z) Thursday March 29 8:00pm Buffone
Player Eval 3 (2007) Tuesday April 3 6:20pm Northstar
Player Eval 4 (2006) Tuesday April 3 7:30pm Northstar
Player Eval 1 (Last Names A-L) Thursday April 5 7:00pm Buffone
Player Eval 2 (Last Names M-Z) Thursday April 5 8:00pm Buffone
Player Eval 3 (2004) Saturday April 7 7:00am Buffone
Player Eval 4 (2005) Saturday April 7 8:00am Buffone
Midgets (16U) Please note additional details will be posted as soon as possbile.
Player Eval 1 TBA Buffone OR Northstar
Player Eval 2 TBA Buffone OR Northstar
Player Eval 3 TBA Buffone OR Northstar
Player Eval 4 TBA Buffone OR Nothstar